The Queen of Screwball Comedy


Hey my beautiful readers!

This is my first blog post on someone that I admire. That's the Queen of Screwball Comedy, Carole Lombard. Here's a little insight and vocabulary about this post: I used pictures instead of film unless it doesn't make sense.  When I first gotten into Carole Lombard, I was around 18 years old and I was a little upset because of the people who teased me in High School and within my family members. I wanted to end my light because of them so I turned to my laptop and went on Netflix to find a film that would make me forget about the things that people said to me.

I started to look around Netflix to find a picture that I would be interested in watching. I first went to My List section and nothing on there was something that I was interested in so I moved onto the Recommended section. I thought that I would find something on there but nothing seemed interesting or new to me because I either already seen it or I didn't like the theme of the pictures. I looked for a picture under the Because You Watched Funny Face section -- if you don't know what Funny Face is, it's the film version of the Gershwin classic, Funny Face from the 1927-1928 Broadway season which starred Fred and Adele Astaire. Under that section, I found a picture that I would spark my involvement in Women's work in picture. That picture was Nothing Scared - a 1937 color picture starring Carole Lombard and Fredric March. The picture is Carole's only color picture that was released when she was alive but it wasn't the only color film that she filmed. The other color film that she filmed was My Man Godfrey, which is a picture that was released in 1936. The film was supposed to be released in color but the production company thought that the picture didn't make sense in color. So, it was released in black and white instead.


Who is Carole Lombard? Carole Lombard was born in Fort Wayne, Indiana as Jane Alice Peters on October 6, 1908. Her parents got divorced in 1916 and her mother took the family out on a trip to California where they decided to settle down while they were there. Carole wasn't a girly girl growing up because she was scouted by a film director while she was playing baseball in the street with neighborhood boys at the age of 12. By the age of 15, she had had enough of school and quit. Throughout her lifetime, Carole Lombard has made at least eight films that would define her career to generations after her. She was named The Profane Angel because when she told a dirty joke she would still be a lady about it. She was also named The Hoosier Tornado and The Queen of Screwball Comedy. She died on January 16, 1942 in Table Rock Mountain, Nevada from a plane crash. Remains from the plane crash is still there on Table Rock Mountain but the hike to get to the remains is treacherous. People say that you can still hear the screams from people during the plane crash.

Sorting Carole Lombard into a Hogwarts House. After watching a few of Carole's pictures, I started to get to know who Carole was as a person because her personality shun through the roles that she had played throughout her career. Carole was someone who was smart, witty, and glamorous to her peers. These are also the things that drew me to Carole Lombard as a person because I know that looking up to someone who is alive or in your family is a thing that people are used, but that wasn't who I am. I am someone who wants to learn from people who aren't my family because I found myself learning from people who I can relate to. And Carole Lombard is one of those people that I admire and consider as one of my role models. Carole is a perfect Ravenclaw Role Model to look up to whenever you feel down or upset.


Aside from being a Ravenclaw Role Model, She was also someone who seeks a great adventure. Carole Lombard and her husband, Clark Gable lived together in a ranch in California during the times that they had together. The pair would go on horseback riding trips together while alone together on their ranch. It's so adorable if you've seen their home movies on YouTube. Her adventurous side makes her a Thunderbird. Carole seems to be at peace when she's off to an adventure of her own. That side of her is also noticeable in a few of her pictures. I saw it when watched Nothing Scared for the second time after looking up a little bit of information about her. I found out that Carole was a genuinely kind person and she valued creativity and individuality more than anything in the world. She also suffered various accidents throughout her lifetime and has scars that were left unhealed on her body, which didn't bothered her that much because the scars made her stronger than she was before it. This led me to her Patronus, which is the Lioness because Lionesses does the same thing as she did. They fought. They gained scars. It didn't bother them. They showed courage and Carole Lombard did the same thing.

Till then,

Comments

Post a Comment

What To Read Next